Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Love Letter









































I know I've shown clips of this short comic but never the whole thing it was going to go into a Love Anthology called Less than Three, but I don't know if that will happen. It seems like a shame for it to sit on my hard drive and if the anthology does happen I'll just make a new comic for it.

Love Letter is about break up feelings, vulnerability, transformations, and cleansing. I wrote the story when I was going through a rough period feeling like I was unable to speak in any other form. I wanted the feelings to be raw, and could belong to anyone. We all go through times in our life when we meet someone and they disappear causing us to change but we have to keep moving forward. I didn't really care if the message readable because it is personal. I wanted the character's voice to seem like thought, bordering love and hate. With the artwork my idea was to explore borderless panels and using objects as borders and how I could move the eye through the page without the box.
enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. This is easily one of my top favs of yours. It's extremely moving and relatable. The feelings are violent but silent at the same time. I love it. I think everyone who's gone through a breakup has definitely felt this. I especially love finding 'easter eggs' of her thoughts. It's like discovering what she's thinking as she's thinking it. It's really great Shell. I miss your comics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you incorporated the words. It's unexpectedly natural yet subtle and very effective at conveying the emotions behind them. The borderless panels flow so smoothly and the images are so well framed that I doubt I would've noticed the ingenuity in how they engage the eye if you hadn't mentioned it. The effect works perfectly with results so engrossing that the technique becomes invisible.

    To sum things up, Wow. Your posts like this blow me away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, beautiful and amazing work! it's so moving and raw. you're such a master!

    ReplyDelete